Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Baby Food Spice Cake


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Here is my Taste of the Unexpected dish of the day for 2016.  I won 4th place with my Baby Food Spice Cake


Fair is going good this week.  I have won 2 ribbons so far and will compete again tonight in 2 categories.  Tonight will be Poultry and Raspberry dishes.  I will post my dishes on my Instagram account tonight after judging starts.  Stay tuned to see if I am another winner.....


This picture was taken after the winners were announced.  The icing is falling apart because the committee has sliced up my cake for tasting.  In this competition when the judging is complete and the winners have been announced we have a big potluck at the end.  It is fun getting to taste all the other dishes.  During fair week this is where I have my supper every night :)


Spice Cake

Cake:
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
4 ounce jar baby food Carrots
4 ounce jar baby food Apple/Peach/Squash
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour

icing:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powder sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chopped pecans for garnish

To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together the oil and sugar until combined.  Add the eggs one at a time.  Fold in vanilla and the baby food.  Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.  Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder mixing until all is well mixed in.  Pour cake batter into a greased and floured bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  Cake is done when tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Icing:
Mix together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla.  Gradually add the powder sugar until all combined and icing consistency.  You can either ice the cake or place icing into a pastry bag and decorate the cake.  If desired sprinkle top of icing with chopped pecans.