Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Slow Cooker Sugar Pecans


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Who can resist these Sugar Pecans?  Not me!!  I love these little gems and they smell so good while you are fixing them.

Bill likes the sugar pecans on his salad.  Bill and I pack his lunch every morning.  One of his favorites is salad with Olive Garden dressing and topped with these sugar pecans.






I had always done these in the oven but decided to try the slow cooker.  The only issue with the slow cooker is you have to make sure you remember to stir these 3 times an hour or they will stick to the bottom and burn.


I did use a slow cooker liner when I made mine.  This was a great thought because I did get busy and forgot to stir my nuts and I was reminded when I started to smell them... they were starting to burn. The sticky sugar when it starts to burn would create a real mess on the bottom of your slow cooker. If you are like me I hate to have to scrub out baked on food!


This is a picture of my slow cooker liner after I removed the sugar pecans.  As you can see that would have been a chore to scrub off the inside of my slow cooker.


Slow Cooker Sugar Pecans

4 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg white

In a bowl mix together sugars, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and vanilla. Set aside.

Put pecans in a large bowl.  Pour egg white and vanilla mixture over the nuts and stir until nuts are all coated.

Pour the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the nuts and continue to stir until all the nuts are coated.

Pour the pecans into the slow cooker.  Cook on low for 3 hours and stir pecans around every 20 minutes.

After 3 hours dump pecans out on parchment paper or a cookie sheet and let them cool.  After pecans are cooled, place in an air tight container.... enjoy!