Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tailgate Chili


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.


Are you ready for the big game on Sunday?  I think this is the first time that Bill and I could care less which team wins.  Of course we will watch it because you need to have the game on to enjoy all the football food and the good thing is we can get up and get seconds without worrying about pausing the game!

We like to start the night off by having chili for dinner before digging into all the appetizers that will be made.  I am getting excited just thinking about everything Cally and I will be making.  Cheese dips, cheese balls, taco dip and of course something sweet.


I decided this year I wanted to make a new chili recipe.  I bought everything I needed over the weekend, well I thought I did.  As I was making the chili I realized I forgot the chili beans.  I went to the pantry and found Great Northern Beans.  So Great Northern Beans it was going to be.

I started by browning my hot sausage and hamburger.  I then chopped up jalapeno, onion and red pepper and added them to the skillet to saute.  I do not like crispy onion or peppers in anything. After the meat was browned through and the veggies were soft I grated garlic into the skillet and then added all the spices.  It was smelling amazing!  I had not added my spices to the meat mixture before, I usually just add them to the soup pot.  I have decided this is how it will be done from now on!

After that I just added everything into a big soup pan and let it simmer.  I was getting really hungry with all this spicy goodness going on in the kitchen.

This new Tailgate Chili recipe will be my new go to recipe when I am making chili.

Tailgate Chili

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
2 6 oz tomato paste
4 15.5 oz cans great northern beans
3 C beef broth
1/2 lb hamburger
1 lb hot sausage
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 1/2 T chili powder
1 t salt
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1 t ground black pepper
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/8 t ground cinnamon

Begin by browning the hamburger and sausage in a skillet.  To the meat mixture add the jalapeno, red pepper and onion.  Continue to cook until the meat is browned through and the veggies are soft. To this mixture grate in the garlic and add all dry spices.  Mix everything together well and set aside.

In a big soup pot add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and beef broth. Stir well.  Add the meat mixture to the soup pot and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes for everything to start blending together.  Now add the drained great northern beans and continue to cook until the beans are hot.  Serve with crackers, cheese and sour cream if you like.