Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hearty Sausage and Potato Bake


AFFILIATE NOTICE


This blog participates in various forms of advertising,including affiliate marketing. Thank you for your support.

Tonight is our Church's turn to make food for the soup kitchen.  I have been trying to donate a crock pot of food every Wednesday night.  It is getting really cold here in Ohio and a lot of the people we help do live on the street.  I make my food and take it to my terrific friends Kathy and Sherry and they take my food along with theirs and serve at the soup kitchen every Wednesday night.

The Hearty Sausage and Potato Bake is a recipe that I received from my friend Julie.  She has entered this recipe in the dish of the day competition for pork dish at the fair and has won several ribbons.

The thyme leaves in this dish are so robust and add a fabulous flavor.  I have made a few changes to the original recipe.  I have added mushrooms, boil my carrots before adding them to the mixture and I do not brown my sausage.  I just slice my sausage up and throw it right in the pan.

Hearty Sausage and Potato Bake
adapted from:  Julie A.

1 # new potatoes, quartered
1 lg onion sliced
1/2 # baby carrots, boiled until tender
8 oz fresh mushrooms
2 T melted butter
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t dried thyme leaves
1 1/2# smoke sausage, sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.  Combine potatoes, onion, carrots, mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and margarine.  Toss to coat.  Place potato mixture in prepared pan.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Add sliced smoke sausage to the potato mixture and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.